Our Renewable Energy Business Unit currently has a need for a Commercial Legal Counsel for a specified purpose contract to cover a maternity leave. This role will be based in Newbridge and will report to the Legal Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for proactively assisting the Legal Manager in the provision of legal services for the operational assets, strategic projects, business development, transactions, and general Renewable Energy Business activities. The successful candidate will also be responsible for supporting the Renewable Energy Business Unit in the provision of general legal advice and services to facilitate the achievement of its commercial and strategic goals.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Work with the Legal Manager to manage the legal and governance work stream of strategic projects and transactions to deliver the project or transaction in line with the Business Unit’s objective;
- Provide advice to the Renewable Energy Business Unit on corporate governance matters including Board and Shareholder approval requirements. Assess governance requirements and obtain necessary approvals, draft appropriate documents and provide advice on general corporate governance issues;
- Advise the Renewable Energy Business Unit on legal issues affecting all aspects of their commercial and operational activities and recommend appropriate courses of action and provide clear legal advice. Take a proactive role in finding solutions to overcome obstacles and in the management and mitigation of risks. Actively advise in the negotiation of key commercial contracts and transactions. Draft and review commercial agreements and liaise with external counsel on specialist matters where required. Advise on planning and environmental matters and assist with GDPR and AIE requests that may arise in relation to the Business Unit;
- Monitor and manage the legal budget for projects or transactions. Ensure liaison with all key internal and external stakeholders including liaising with external counsel as appropriate to ensure that projects or transactions are delivered in accordance with timelines and objectives;
- Actively advise the Operations Team within the Renewable Energy Business Unit in the negotiation of key commercial contracts and transactions in relation to the operational functions within the Operations Team. Draft and review commercial agreements and liaise with external counsel on specialist matters where required;
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with legal colleagues in other Business Units to share information and ensure consistency of approach on legal related matters;
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes:
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister; Four years post qualification experience
- Mid/top tier firm or in house role;
- experience in energy related matters or large infrastructure projects and commercial contracts are an advantage;
- Career evidence of excellence in team working, personal integrity and operational excellence;
- MS Office Suite and familiarity with Legal Case Management Systems an advantage;
- Good organisational and administration skills;
- Ability to work on his/her own initiative.