This an exceptional career opportunitiy for a suitably qualified person to lead an Aerial Survey Team and who possesses on the ground experience of carrying out Aerial Surveys in the Marine Environment or equivalent experience. Our client has a significant advantage as it owns and operates its own Aerial Survey Plane equipped with the most up to date equipment to support Bird and MMO surveys as well as LiDAR applications.
This role will require the candidate to work in harmony with the company’s existing aerial team and marine survey department leads across Environmental, Geophysical & Geotechnical. This is a management role, and the chosen candidate will be responsible for building the team required to ensure aerial operational
success – delivering world class data to our existing client base.
● Researching and understanding the client’s requirements.
● Studying a map of the area to be reported upon.
● Selecting the aerial equipment that will best meet the specifications of
the job. Equipment available to the role will be LiDAR, Video
monitoring, thermal imaging, and high-resolution oblique
● Getting the equipment ready including specialised tools such as GPS,
cameras, mounts etc.
● Setting out, documenting, and communicating the survey mission
with clients, aerial team and report writers.
● Liaising with the pilot to coordinate surveying activities, logistics and
● Compilation of data/output of the survey mission and communication
of the data with the ecology team.
● Taking photographs and notes of the area in question.
● Once all this data is gathered the aerial surveyor can both compile a
report and draw up a map using a computer software package such
as a geographic information system (GIS).
● Meeting the client’s requirements from understanding the initial aerial
survey brief to submitting a factual report.
● Liaising with pilots and planning survey flight strategy.
● Checking equipment and using a mixture of technology to capture
photographic evidence and other points of interest.
● Interpreting collated photographs and data.
● Analysing and understanding patterns and relationships that are
uncovered from the GIS.
● Compiling reports that are accurate and combine visual, aerial
photographic evidence as well as a comparison to old data and past
photographic and mapping records.
● Interested in and passionate about geo-information and the offshore
● Strong map work orientation skills / Cartography.
● Strong technical skills, preferably in relation to the use of specialist
aerial photographic and LiDAR equipment.
● Comfortable in being airborne, frequently (as required).
● Experienced in working with 2D and 3D data.
● Ability to manage and work as part of a team and communicate with a
range of stakeholders and other offshore survey divisions.
● Solid procedure and field report writing and compilation skills.
● Excellent attention to detail.
● Outstanding organisational and planning skills.
● An analytical mind.
● Ability to gather data and interpret results.
● Good operational skills and aptitude.
● Flexibility and a professional manner.
● Data and information management skills.
● Keeping up to date with new and emerging technologies.
● A bachelor’s degree in a related subject such as Ecology, Marine
● Understanding of European/Irish guidelines in relation to bird and
Marine Mammal surveys to ensure compliance and best practice is
adopted during survey planning, execution, and reporting.
● A surveying qualification is highly desirable as well as membership of
the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or equivalent.
● Increasingly, drones are being deployed as they can be as effective
as other equipment and are more cost effective. If this is the case, it
is essential that land surveying drone training is undertaken to
understand how to safely operate these devices. You also need to be
aware of the legal framework for operating drones.
● Field work experience of using survey techniques and operating
aerial photographic equipment.
● Ideally candidates will have worked previously in an aerial surveying
role, but related surveying land experience may be acceptable.
● A working knowledge of GIS, LIDAR, GPS, and other technologies