Fantastic opportunity at a multidisciplinary Consulting Engineering practice operating across the private and public sectors in Ireland since 1952. Gaia Talent is looking to recruit and Health & Safety Specialist to join a growing and experienced team of professionals in the development of a key position within the overall company structure. The role will require someone who is a highly motivated and driven safety professional capable of working both under their own initiative and as part of the larger consultancy team. The ideal candidate will be based in Galway.
The Health & Safety (H&S) Specialist reports to the Operations Manager but will work alongside a dedicated team of professionals who are responsible for all aspects of projects. The H&S Manager’s role is to take responsibility for the health and safety aspects within the business in conjunction with the Director responsible for H&S within the business.
It is a diverse role and requires well-developed skills and knowledge in several areas. The H&S Manager will be confident in reviewing strategy and identifying areas for improvement, experienced in working with our teams internally but also with other professionals externally.
Project Supervisor Design Process role is to ensure effectiveness in addressing and co-ordinating safety and health matters from the very early stages of a project. Therefore, role will also include taking a lead position in relation to the management and co-ordination of the Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) role on a wide variety of projects from Education, Sports, Commercial, Residential and Aviation through Ireland. Over time the role will include the development of a larger team reporting to you. This wider team will include more junior staff H&S specific staff and administrative staff to assist with the development of our service offering in this sector. Both in terms of quality of services and quantity of services provided to clients.
• Fulfilling the duties of the PSDP as outlined in the Safety H&S at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013;
• Review of designs and designer risk assessments with regard to compliance with Health and Safety legislation. Provide design safety advice to the engineering design disciplines, internal project teams and consultancy to clients;
• To ensure project risk assessment and method statements (RAMS) are received and reviewed prior to attendance and maintain a register of all RAMS on site;
• To assess contractor safety in conjunction with project staff and provide continual assistance in reviewing contractor safety documentation and overall safety compliance;
• To take an active role in the management of contractors on site via routine audits and inspections;
• Design hazard identification & risk assessment processes;
• Management of contractor safety and review of contractor safety documentation;
• Management of dedicated projects including finance requirements of the dedicated projects;
• Health and safety support as part of project bids;
• Provide technical support to all office projects in the areas of design safety including coordination of design safety;
• Review and update H&S Policies and Procedures annually;
• Provide guidance and training to staff on H&S matters relevant to construction works and liaise with Human Resources accordingly;
• Ensure all systems are up to date, accurate and accessible to all team members;
• Applying the principles of quality assurance and environmental management in compliance with the organisation’s policies;
• Assisting the QSSE team with continuous improvement of our safety culture and assisting with key safety programmes;
• Support in reviewing H&S documentation in relation to procurements;
• Develop the Safety in Design Strategy documents;
• Assist in reviewing technical documents and ensure they are relevant and in accordance with best practice and current legislation;
• To participate in weekly meetings with internal and client-facing and project management teams;
• Support project managers to determine the essential design safety-related reviews and risk assessments for a project;
• Support the Construction management delivery of projects and programs;
• Be recognised as a Leader in and keep abreast of current technology, regulatory and industry standards for design safety in the workplace (including construction);
• Knowledge of the suite of statutory requirements typically applicable to TOBIN projects;
• Deliver support to multiple projects in a timely fashion to meet project schedules;
• Coordinate with project PSCS on various sites;
Skills and Experience:
• Strong knowledge of safety in design, construction safety and the duties associated with the role of PSCS;
• Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
• Experience in bid preparation and input to health & safety requirements;
• Experience in developing and improving company safety policies, culture and systems;
• Competent report writing with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise work and manage tasks concurrently across several projects;
• Good presentation, communication and interpersonal skills are essential;
• Have excellent computer skills;
• Excellent people management and project execution.
• Recognised relevant professional qualification (Engineering, Construction related or Architecture or Science or Construction preferred);
• Member of a recognised Engineering, Architectural or Occupational H&S professional body;
• Relevant Health and Safety Degree/Diploma qualifying for membership of IOSH or Engineering Degree recognised by Engineers Ireland with post qualification Safety specific training or working towards, Chartered Membership of IOSH;
• Qualified as a PSDP in accordance with the Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Regulations 2013 or willing to work towards qualification.
• Full clean driving;
• Have 3-5 years’ relevant experience in health and safety;
• Have experience in Construction, particularly the PSDP and PSCS roles;
• Field experience in Construction and/or Commissioning, Qualification and Validation;
• Highly motivated, organised and capable of working on your own;
• Highly competent with Microsoft Office Suite & other related software applications required;
• Fluent English speaker;
• Have an appropriate working visa if required.
Excellent benefit package will be offered to the successful candidate.