This is an opportunity to join an environmental and geospatial consultancy with a global reach. As a well-established, UK based consultancy, you have the chance to not only join a world-class team, but lead them as a Principal Ornithologist.
You will guide the ornithology consultancy team. One of the main roles of the team is to organise, undertake and analyse aerial surveys of birds – particularly offshore. Coupled with this is the need for expert advice and interpretation, especially EIA and HRA. The team uses robust science to find solutions for both the private and public sectors.
The purpose of this role is to work closely with the Associate Director and other Principal Consultants within the ornithology and wider company team to expand the ornithology consultancy team, influencing and shaping current work streams, and expanding the current customer base across the UK, Europe and worldwide as well as the current products and services offered by the ornithology consultancy team. To secure and manage a wide range of large scale ornithology consultancy projects.
To be successful in this role we are looking for applications from professionals who have worked in a similar role or can demonstrate the appropriate transferable skills. You should have:
- Ornithology / Ecology / EIA related degree (and potentially an MSc/PhD for Principal role);
- Appropriate relevant experience for the grade applied for;
- Surveying and working experience in the UK / Irish regulatory framework (including protected species licensing for Principal role);
- Ideally, an established track record in the field of ornithology / bird ecology, derived from a relevant career in consultancy, research or working for government;
- Working knowledge of the European and UK wildlife legislation and policy;
- Appropriate membership level of CIEEM for grade applied for or working towards accreditation (or no restriction on ability to apply);
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to organise and develop their work with minimal supervision, as well as excellent team working ability;
- Full current UK driving licence;
- The ability to work away from home for short periods to meet the demands of fieldwork;
- Knowledge and experience of the EcIA, EIA and HRA processes (for Principal role);
- GIS and / or R and / or Statistical Analysis skills advantageous.
- To work closely with the Principals and Associate Directors to expand the business across the UK, Europe and worldwide.
- To work closely with the Principals and Associate Directors to set and deliver the business strategies for the ornithology consultancy team.
- To lead and mentor a team of consultants and senior consultants to produce timely, accurate and high quality products and services.
- To be responsible for part of the output of the wider consultancy team, reviewing and signing off reports, providing constructive feedback and coaching where required in order to achieve this.
- To be responsible for ensuring that all output is delivered to the highest standard, in line with timescales agreed with the client, within budget and to the highest technical quality.
- To be involved in all aspects of tender preparation including writing proposals, setting budgets, programmes and scope alone, with other internal teams and in partnership with external organisations.
- Project management of large scale projects with multidisciplinary teams based in various locations.
- Client management, successfully developing, maintaining and managing internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- To mentor, guide and develop more junior members of the team.
- To attend and present at appropriate business development events including networking events and conferences.
- Business development, including maintaining and extending relationships with existing clients as well as securing and managing new work.
- To carry out any additional activities that may be reasonably required or requested.
Benefits of working with us
- A wide salary scope of £50,000 – £70,000 that ensures you’ll be paid worth your experience and responsibilities.
- Further excellent rewards and benefits packages.
- Proven and clear career development a detailed career road map.
- Company bonus scheme.
- Cycle to work scheme Membership.
- Payment of professional membership fees.
- Private medical insurance & health cash plan.
If you feel you qualify in at least 80% of the requirements and responsibilities, please feel free to apply. All applicants are considered!